Words are powerful, which is a big part of the reason we writers write. Someone posted the following line on Twitter yesterday, and I have declared it my new personal mantra:
Pain is inevitable, suffering optional.
This got me thinking about what phrases are most powerful to me - which ones do I "reach for" in order to help me through life or just to make me smile. Here are a few of my personal favorites:
- You're a slave to money and then you die. (Verve - Bittersweet Symphony)
- What goes around, comes around.
- When you're going through hell, keep going. (Winston Churchill)
- It's all a bunch of bullshit. (My friend and I made this up while working together as interior designers!)
- Tomorrow's another day.
- Living well is the best revenge.
- Choose your battles wisely.
- Everything happens for the best. (My nana used to always say this.)
- Follow your passion, follow your heart.